Friday, September 28, 2012

four strategies to indulge:

Regardless of your long term vision, it’s important to remember that any diet can include an allowance for dessert. Here are four strategies that will help you find an effective way to indulge:
1. The percentage rule 
Some people go by 90:10 and others 80:20. Either way, the concept is simple: 10 (or 20) percent of your daily calories are “free” for whatever you want to eat. So if you’re on a 2,000 calorie/day diet, you can eat 100 calories of whatever you want, whether it’s ice cream, candy, or cake. If you choose this route, just make sure you’re aware of portion sizes and don’t overeat.

2. The cheat meal 
If you have trouble counting calories or keeping an eye on your meal size, this might be your preferred option. In this strategy, you choose 1 (or maybe 2) meals per week when you can eat whatever you want. No rules. No restrictions. Just enjoy. I’ve seen this approach work great for many people. But, if you have a lot of weight to lose, I recommend avoiding this in the early process of your transformation. Oftentimes it increases cravings for the bad foods that you’re trying to remove, and can make your eating changes more difficult.

3. The post-workout approach 
If you’re a macro person (track your carbs, proteins, and fats), this is a wonderful option. When you’re aware of how many proteins/carbs/fats you consume, it’s easy to make food substitutions and eat “bad” foods without a negative consequence. And there’s no better time for a small indulgence than after a workout. Enjoy a sugary cereals, or pancakes as part of your “healthy” post-workout routine.

4. The random 
I guess you could call this the Born. It’s the strategy that I’ve followed for years, and it seems to work best for my goals. Here’s how it goes: I eat healthy year round. I do have weekly cheat meals. I know what’s good for me (fruits, vegetables, lean sources of protein, whole foods), and that’s all I eat. And I love my diet. I understand that this is a struggle for people, but when you learn to eat healthy, you find that most options taste delicious.  But sometimes, life calls for an indulgence. So when I go on vacation I eat and don’t worry about the consequences. Why? Because I knew that after my vacation, my healthy behaviors would return and I would be back on track. 
Regardless of what you chose (or if you even eat dessert), make sure you approve of your approach to diet and fitness. Although being healthy can be challenging or force change, ultimately it should never be uncomfortable. That's how you make it last.

No comments:

Post a Comment